Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Work Blessings

I'll be honest here.  I don't like to work.  I don't mind housework and cooking and mothering (although all tend to try my patience at times) but I really don't like to work - by "work" here I am referring to my job writing and editing for the family business -  (mostly because I'm just not called to this type of work - some people are; I'm not).  But I am called to do it, for my family, for this time, for how ever long my work is needed.  I'm okay with it, except for those times when I think I can't juggle it all anymore, which are fortunately not as common these days as they were even a year ago.  But I work with deadlines, which I have no malice toward, although as I am getting older I realize that a month nowadays is SO much shorter than it used to be before I had kids.  Or even one, or two, or three kids.  Time is just flying by now.  But that's not supposed to be a part of this post.

This post is to note that my work does bless me at times.  Of course, it blesses us all in that I am capable of doing it and that it helps the business and our family.  But I occasionally have some special blessings that remind me that my small sacrifice can be a blessing to others, and a joy to me as well.

I work with some of the most amazing people in the world.  Everyone that I work with is a faithful Christian with whom I can share my values.  There are no second thoughts about emailing a heartfelt "Merry Christmas" or "I'll pray for you."  I don't have to hide that I work from home and that, if you call me, odds are good that there will be background noise :-).  Those I work with know me and don't mind if I goof up on things every once in awhile and some of them love me and STILL love me in spite of those errors.

I sometimes get sweet emails from people for whom I have written feature articles.  This past month, I got an email from someone who asked if I ever edited books, as her she and her husband enjoyed the article I wrote regarding his new book, and wanted to keep me in mind for when he was ready to publish some of his other in-the-works books.  How crazy is that?!  It was a compliment that I am writing here so that I can look back on my younger years and remember that I was a mom and a writer.

I also have hilarious strings of emails with one coworker in particular.  She and I work closely together and we both just "get" each other.  Although we only know each other through work, I know that I can count on her if I were ever in a bind.

And those are just a few reasons why, although I don't like my job, I do actually, sometimes, sort of, kind of like it.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Katie, I really like this post. I love it that you are so honest about your work - and the blessings and challenges of working from home. It is funny because we feel a lot of the same things - but for me, I actually LOVE this type of work, and my struggle often comes when I can't give it everything I know I could if I didn't have kids (of course I love my kids more than working - but you know what I mean) So, some months when I don't have as much in a pub I feel really upset over it. And, this month, I LOVE how much stuff I got into all my pubs - so I am really happy. But, I struggle with the fact that those things are in a way linked to my happiness. God really has a plan for everyone.
    And, you could edit books - for real! Only you will look something up in 85 seperate places to make sure it is right! That is an editor!! You rock at it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Holly! You are right. I could do it, but I think my perfectionistic tendencies WOULD have me staying up late nights cross-referencing things! :-)

    And though I didn't speak specifically of you, YOU are one of the great blessings of my job too - but I am especially blessed by your friendship OUTSIDE of work. THAT is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be thankful that you can work a little while you are homeschooling. I could never do it because I have PTSD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok...I'm still in AWE and sharing your JOY regarding the "pregnant-sick?" post above...What a BEAUTIFUL marriage you have!
    That said...I would LOVE to hear more about your family business...what type of business is it? What type of writing/editing do you do?

    ReplyDelete