Monday, September 5, 2011

School has begun!

I'm posting with 1 1/2 days of schooling under my belt for this school year so far.  I must say, they've gone REALLY well for me.  I did some last minute planning, naturally, but my planning thus far has been pretty organized and that helps a great, great deal for me.  :-)

Nadia took to the schooling like a pro and was very eager.  She enjoyed the math and her reading lessons, although the handwriting practice was a little daunting for her at brief moments, and she is not a "color-er," so the portions of the math work that wanted her to color shapes was something that she balked at.  Of course, I adjusted the instructions accordingly, so that she was pushed to do a bit out of her comfort zone, but not the full original instructions as I knew they weren't necessary for her to demonstrate her understanding.  Overall, I really think she likes it!

Kassia did really well, too!  The first day was frustrating for us as she took.her.very.sweet.time getting her handwriting done, and then the math was once again a source of angst for her.  The math wasn't too difficult, but it was difficult for her to express that she was out of practice and had lost some of her conceptualization abilities with certain tasks.  I get it and am more than willing to work with her where she is at, but I am really working with her on learning how to communicate when she needs help and to tell me what kind of help she needs or at least explain what she gets and what she doesn't.  I know it will come with time; it's one of the benefits of schooling at home - she has that time and I have that time to work with her to develop that.

The handwriting wasn't a real problem for her - it's just that she got so wrapped up in watching Nadia's lessons that she continuously lost focus.  I may have to have her go to a separate area to complete that part of her daily work so that she is more efficient.  She cried about it of course, but I think it was because she was pressuring herself so much.

In the meantime, partly due to all the lovely ladies who have kept me and the start of the school year in their prayers, and partly due to my dedicated prayers for a good start to my teaching, I had the patience of Job.  It was so strange - I was cheerful, joyful, flexible, and it was such a joy for all of us.  Kassia said, out of the blue, "Mom, I think you are getting to be a better teacher."  She meant it as a genuine compliment, and that's how I took it.  So many aspects of the first day - all of the positive ones - just continuously emphasized how vital prayerful preparation on a DAILY BASIS is.  Here are the two prayers that I came across that I used to prepare my heart and soul for the day:

Prayer for Homeschoolers
Dear Lord, bless me in my decision to homeschool my children. Grant me the grace of peace and determination in this awesome endeavor. Lead me to the proper materials for the instruction each of my children, so that their individual talents and skills will be nurtured and they will grow in intelligence to the fullness of their abilities. Give me the strength to persevere when the weight of being teacher, mother, wife, and housekeeper seems too much to bear. Help me to maintain my household and family school, knowing that there will be times when one or both may seem to suffer, but confident that you will assist me in restoring harmony to both in good time. Allow me the contentment of heart and knowledge that the proper formation of my children's minds holds importance far above many of the callings of this world. Bestow on me courage to overcome the criticisms of those who disagree with me in this effort, keeping ever mindful that the growing of my children in knowledge and grace will be for your glory, and the trials I must endure are for my personal sanctification. Amen.

Prayer To Our Lady for Homeschooling Parents
Blessed Mother, as you so humbly and graciously accepted God's will to bear and raise His only son, and to guide him in wisdom and virtue, help me in the instruction and education of my children. Pray to your Heavenly Son to grant me the grace and strength to assist in their learning, overcoming tiredness and discouragement. Assist me in the management of my home, so that I may be able to keep order and peace, despite the challenges of schooling within it. Intercede for me, imploring Our Heavenly Father to bestow upon me wisdom, not for my own sake, but so that I may form my children's minds and hearts, so that they may grow into strong adults, helping to shape the world for His glory, and ultimately inheriting the kingdom of heaven. Call upon your heavenly angels to stand by my side, with their great intelligence, to help me understand that which I am instructing, and assist my children in learning of same. We humbly ask this through you beloved Son, Our Lord Jesus Christ. Amen.

I found these prayers at www.catholic-prayer-life.com.  The site is really neat - you can find many beautiful prayers there, and you can even make your own prayer book by selecting which prayers you'd like included.  Just click on the left side button that says "Catholic Prayers."  The only thing I am missing is a prayer for all three of us to recite before beginning each day.  I suppose I could create one with both the girls, which would probably be really meaningful, but if you are a homeschooler and have a good prayer you start the day with, I'd love it if you'd share with me!

On a semi-related note, I've been easing up on my restrictions of TV time for the kids.  Well, maybe not so much, it's just that we didn't do TV much at all over summer break, and now we are getting back to our school year trend of watching a bit more.  I'm hoping to build up a great collection of classic DVD movies or short TV episodes for the kids to watch.  If you have any recommends, I would be grateful if you'd share them.  I'm planning on making a list and then using that list as a wish list for Christmas and birthday gifts.  Movies I've already thought of are: The Sound of Music (we have it on VHS only - a recorded off of TV version), Swiss Family Robinson, The Wilderness Family Robinson (anyone else remember that?, Heidi (looking for the best version of this one - not animated), The Secret Garden, etc.  But I am also hoping to build up a collection of fun educational videos for the non- or semi-schooling kiddos for use during short segments of the day.

Back to school: another question I need to get the answer to is this: How old is the earth?  We are doing earth science this year and I am wanting to get started with the basics, and I don't even know if there is a specific answer to this one from the Catholic point of view.  I'm betting that there is no clear answer, save that true scientific evidence would not contradict Church teaching.  I'll be putting in a phone call to a priest friend later today.  It's so nice to have a great resource, although, like most priests, he's terribly busy.  Just another reminder to pray for vocations, right?  :-)

 I forgot to take pictures of the girls on their first day of school this year, but that's okay.  It's not like we were dressed up!  :-)  However, I do have some fun photos from some summer fun that I am hoping to post very, very soon.  I just have to manage to get on the computer that has the photos, and to upload the photos that aren't yet saved there.

Finally, a little shout-out to my husband who did a bunch of little projects around the home for me this weekend.  Darling, I love you SOOOO much!  I will think of you everytime I use the space on the countertop that was previously taken up by the CO2/fire alarm that had yet to be mounted on the ceiling.  :-)

2 comments:

  1. YEAH! I've been praying for your first week.
    And, I've got to get our CO2 up as well! :)

    ReplyDelete