I briefly looked at the site, but it doesn't give much more information than the ad itself did.Homeless Children
The Average age of a homeless child in America is 9 years old. One may want to take comfort in believing the child is with a parent but, in fact many children are living alone. They are forced to learn how to survive on the streets often falling victim to predators. The Soap4Dignity Project’s goal is to help aid homeless children in the United States. Each month we will travel state to state giving homeless children their very own bar of soap. Glycerin with essential oils to protect their little hands and sensitive skin. We need your help. For each bar of soap purchased we will provide a bar of soap to a child in your name. We can help restore dignity together. We can positively alter America one bar of soap at a time.
Here's the thing: when you are thinking about homeless children, is soap something that comes to mind when you think of how you can help them get out of their situation? I get that soap does allow one to get clean, which gives one a greater sense of "dignity," but come on. How is a kid going to feel getting that special glycerin bar with a note that says who donated it to you? If it were me, I be thinking, "Yeah, thanks for the bar of soap...but I can get that at a shelter. Sure, it's nice that it has essential oils for my hands and skin, but how about a new pair of underwear? A winter jacket? New shoes? A home???"
Anybody else find this a little odd?
that is so creepy.
ReplyDeleteThat sure is bizarre. My heart just breaks at the thoughr of a 9 year old on the streets. A bar of soap isn't going to do much for them.
ReplyDeleteWhere are these parentless, homeless children? How do the soap people find them?
ReplyDeleteWhere are the children going to wash?
Do you think they will try to eat the soap?
Is there another organization giving them towels?
Is this organization for real, or is it a joke?
I'm all for helping out the homeless, and there are homeless shelters who could probably use a donation of soap and other items.
WEll um, don't you need a sink or a shower to use said soap?
ReplyDeleteAnd, if you can FIND these kids - shouldn't you like take them to a shelter, church or deliver them to the doorsteps of your friends for crying in the night?!! Who hands a child on the street a bar of soap and walks away!? I don't get it. Creepy. Leave it up to your hubby to find this. He has a way of finding the oddest things in our world! It is an odd gift, but he has it! I love it (not th poor kids part, really soap people, send them to my house)
I once found a lost tot on the street, and I called the police right away. The police were able to reunite mother and child. It never occurred to me to give the kid soap. I was thinking of the child's safety, plus the little guy was crying.
ReplyDelete