The 2nd reading reminds me of where I am sorely lacking - not in my faith in God, but in my self-discipline while I am here on earth. I think I do a pretty good job when it comes to disciplining my children, but I am horribly inconsistent in holding myself to the same high standards. At some point, my children will be even more aware that I don't ensure that I eat as well-rounded meals as I require them to. They'll see they have a bedtime and note those mornings when I am exhausted because I wasn't responsible enough to get myself in bed at a decent time.
If I love God, who loves me and has given my my life to use in glory for him, as a temple, then I need to love myself enough to discipline myself accordingly. This has long been a struggle for me. I just don't stick with good habits (good food choices and amounts, specifically, as well as consistency in prayer time) and cannot seem to keep myself accountable. It seems that for these things, too, I will need to enlist an accountability partner.
I need to strengthen my drooping hands by raising them more to Him and to strengthen my weak knees by putting the weight of my body on them in prayer. The pain of discipline is still a pain to me, but I look hopefully to enjoying the peaceful fruit of righteousness. I'm hopeful to be healed and I'm hopeful to start anew in embracing the discipline spoken of in the Holy Scriptures.
So, if you feel so motivated, feel free to ask me how I'm doing on prayer and self-discipline. I think it will help guide these feet straight.
Blessings!
Discipline is tough, isn't it? Esp. as moms, I think we are so busy maintaining so many things that disciplining our lives whether in prayer, eating, exercising or whatever can be really tough to do.
ReplyDeleteI tend to be pretty tough on myself in some of those areas and quite often feel guilty on those mornings that I do neglect some of my prayer time or daily readings/meditation time and instead choose my cup of coffee and computer time. I really dislike the morning, but over time I've found that I've got to make the sacrifice of getting up earlier in order to get the day started out right...shower, getting ready, prayer, coffee and computer time...uninterrupted before hubby leaves for work.
Keep working on it. I'm with you and know how tough it is to keep on task and sacrifice and discipline ourselves as well. May your path be blessed.
Thanks for posting this, Kate. I copied and pasted the verses above to a Word document on my work computer, so I can read through it every time I get upset about my crappy job. It gives me peace knowing that anything "disciplinary" or crappy that is going on right now is going to help me later (somehow). It's a lot better than beating myself up constantly, that's for sure! (People are going to start asking about the black eyes if I don't stop.) LOL
ReplyDelete