Really it wasn't my intent to let so much time go by between posts! I love to blog and it's been a bit sad that I've had to push it back to make time for other necessary things that, for some reason, seem to take much more time than usual!
For example, we've been better at doing schooling regularly, although I am still not rigid about it - it is our summer after all and the only one we'll have with our kids at this age. Therefore, if we miss a day or two of schooling, it's not a big deal because we've made memories instead.
It seems like laundry has been a really big time consumer these days. Perhaps it's because the kids are so active, and then also because of all the rain we've had the laundry has really added up. I try to do the laundry every time the bathroom hamper is full - which is typically done every 2-3 days. Diapers are always separately piled, so those get done every 2-3 days as well. Those take longer because I do 2-3 washes for each load - with each run all the diapers get a double rinse. So, my laundry routine for those look like this: 1 cold wash, no detergent, 2 rinses; 1 hot wash w/detergent, 2 rinses; and sometimes followed up by an additional hot wash, no detergent; 2 rinses. Thank the Lord for automatic washing machines!
Also, I've been really keeping myself accountable to a cleaning routine that makes each day seem less stressful. My general rule is to make sure the living room has all the toys cleaned up at the kids' bedtime. The kitchen also must be cleaned up before I go to bed. The kitchen cleanup entails ensuring the dishes for handwashing are done before bed (I let them dry overnight) and loading the dishwasher with any dishes that belong there. Or, if the dishwasher is full of clean dishes, I empty it. I also sweep up the floor (stray pieces of cat food are typically present as are any number of various crumbs and lots of lots of dirt and grass brought in from the kids' frequent trips outside, then inside, then back out again) and wipe clean the countertops. Also, we usually throw dirty clothes next to the garbage can throughout the day (like sweaty kid socks and wet diapers) and those I take down to the basement and sort with the other laundry to be done.
I've also recommitted myself to exercising regularly. An anniversary gift in advance from Paul is the guarantee to have at least three times a week where I can get out of the house and work out. It's not always easy to be motivated, but Paul reminds me of how good I'll feel once I start seeing the results of being consistent with this. I'm hoping to notice a different in a few weeks - whether it's more energy or better-fitting clothes.
The girls also have swimming lessons once a week, Kassia has Little Flowers once a month (a virtue-building girl's club), and then there are the work responsibilities. We've also taken a great "camping" vacation at CYE - Catholic Youth Expeditions - up in Door County.
It's also been on my mind to continue to increase the number of meals I make each week for the family. That involves being a better planner, a better grocery shopper, and finding more meals that we'd like to enjoy regularly. And I've continued to learn more and think more about what I want for our homeschooling routine to look like. This includes continuing to explore different curriculum/resource materials that are available and worthwhile.
I am nearly done with my rock picking project. Now I'm trying to give away as many of the landscape rocks as I possibly can to make room for the last few buckets that I have yet to pick. The rock project has unearthed colonies of these yellow ants that won't seem to die; their extermination has been a project of Paul's these last few weeks. They just won't be eliminated for some reason! I shudder to think of how far under the ground they live. Yuck!
Whew! Yep, that's been about it. Oh, and add the wife and mother stuff to the list. :-) All the kids are doing great, and Paul's wonderful, too! (sigh!)
Here's a quick update on the family:
Paul is working hard and is such a wonderful father. He plays with the kids whenever he can and does it fully - no part of his brain is focused on other matters when he's with them as that often seems to be the case for me. Paul is great at consistency in backing me up with our expectations and enforcing those expectations of the kids. He also can tell when I need a little break or support, often providing these things with a quick shoulder rub at various times throughout the day. He is my hero!
Kassia has lost her first tooth and has three additional loose ones. She has completed her reading book for school and now we are just enjoying her reading short stories aloud each day. We've taken a break from her math lessons to play games related to place value (tens and ones) as they have been a bit confusing to her. She's been a big help with all things, mostly because she just wants to! She likes to refill water glasses with the water pitcher in the fridge, even refilling the pitcher when it's low. She's also gotten Sophia to giggle a few times and has changed a few diapers for me, too. She loves to cuddle, read, and have special Mommy time.
Nadia had evaluations a while ago to see how her development was, specifically for speech. Well, basically, the only thing that is a concern to watch for is her tendency to be very anxious. I grew up with anxiety (it hasn't really gone - but I have skills for dealing with it), so I relate and ache for her sometimes. Still, she is super happy and has even taken to the swimming lessons fairly well. In fact, she likes them - which is something I never imagined possible so quickly! She cries once or twice at each lesson, but recovers from her fear or discomfort (water in the ears really bothers her) very quickly. She is sweet and has been eating nearly constantly! She's going to be a tall girl. This is evidenced by the fact that many people ask if she and Kassia are twins!
Luke has been expressing interest in the big-boy potty, but he never does anything with it except sit for awhile and look at his truck books. Still, interest is promising and I try to make sure he can sit on the potty anytime he asks to. He's a good eater, too (actually, they are all great eaters!) and loves to Fred Flintstone-pedal his trike around the yard. He is actually so fast at it that I worry that he will flip the whole thing over! He loves anything with wheels still and has been known to be falling asleep in the car only to suddenly perk up and announce when a police car, fire truck, or motorcycle pass by. He also loves to cuddle!
Sophia is back to sleeping through the night after one week of waking up once during the night for a hefty feeding. She's 4 months now and weighs 15 lbs! She's in the 90th percentile for height and is really strong. She holds herself up very well and has started rolling over this last week. She's definitely going to be mobile very quickly. She loves to look at people and babble and smile, smile, smile. She's certainly the joy to all of us.
Well, you've heard about what I've been up to, so no need to update there!
Oh, and we've been looking at homes in the country - very passively, but since Paul really likes looking at homes, but we have no plans to move. First of all, there is no need to move (although a homeschool room and larger kitchen area and additional bathroom would be nice) and with the uncertainty with the economy and the "running" of the country, we just don't feel super-safe to be investing in any big changes right now. Then again, we both would love to just suddenly decide to up and move - because change can be fun. I told Paul how I wished we could be like the Ingalls family - and just decide to move and pan for gold because they had nothing to lose and no way of earning a living. How neat would it be to suddenly change the direction of your life on your own terms. Of course, that's not really possible, but it's fun to think about.
I've got a lot of photos to share, but they are on the other computer and I just dislike going into the office room where it is kept sometimes because of all the work stuff there. And more little stories of the kids and what we've been up to, but I have to go now. Someone is coming soon (hopefully) to pick up some rocks!
Blessings!
One easy meal idea: Baked Ziti
ReplyDeleteBoil 1 package ziti noodles, drain, and throw into a 9x13 inch pan. Add sauce to cover and about 2 cups mozzarella cheese and mix together. Browned beef or other meat is optional. Cover with aluminum foil and put in oven preheated to 350, for about a half hour, or enough to warm. Once I am home, that will probably become a go-to meal for me.
Another easy meal idea: Chipped Beef and Biscuits
ReplyDeleteBake Pilsbury or similar biscuits.
Cook a white sauce (can be found in many basic cook books - ask me if you want my recipe), and mix in Budda's... I thin it's corned beef, which has been cut into thin strips. Break biscuits in half and cover with meat and sauce mixture.
Yummy ideas! Thanks, Kim!
ReplyDelete