Thursday, June 4, 2009

Firsts

Apparently it was a day of firsts....


Kassia got to have gum today for the first time. She made sure to tell me, "I know not to swallow it, Mom." She was pretty excited.


Luke gave himself a bloody nose. He was not excited.


Luke likes to put himself in a "tripod" position - with both head and feet down on the ground, and then he peers between his legs, looking at the world upside down. He has a lot of fun with this and today, from this position, he crawled around like a bear into the dining room.

Apparently, he was a bit off-balance from repeatedly standing up and then "tripod-ing" and his arms slipped out from under him, introducing his nose to the hardwood floor.


Here is a photo of Luke after the tears subsided (it wasn't that bad).


It was also a first for me in thinking that I had won the "I don't have to go potty" battle. It is not so much a battle, more of a skirmish that resurfaces every once in a while. I don't make a big deal out of it, because I don't want a war. At any rate, as I usually do before putting the girls down for naps (yep - napping again - because they really needed it!), I announced that it was time to go potty.


"I don't have to go potty," states Kassia.


"Well," I said, "You can at least try."


She looks me straight in the eye and sighs with resignation, "Oh, well."


Ha-ha! I think I've won! Low-key and determined, I have proven to her that it is useless to question the before-nap potty rule.


Then we get upstairs and she informs me matter-of-factly, "I really don't have to go potty."


Ok, it was a false flag of truce. And I didn't hold my ground, and I tucked her in without enforcing my rule, and that is why I will be changing her sheets tonight.

1 comment:

  1. My 2yo little boy gave himself a bloody nose from shoving a straw from a drink box directly into a nostril...I don't have a picture, only the bloodstained quilt he rubbed his face all over! He also does the tripod pose--he's not had an injury while doing that pose.

    Luke looks so proud! :)

    ReplyDelete