Saturday, June 6, 2009

A Battle Against Impurity

I thought I'd share with you an event from today that I wrote of in an email to a group of other Catholic homeschoolers in our local network. Here is a modified version of that email:

Hi all:

Our family does our grocery shopping at our local store. The store is convenient, has all we need and we have found that the service is excellent. At the same time, as our children are growing, we have become more concerned and are starting to be even more proactive about protecting their eyes from things they shouldn't be exposed to. In this case, I am talking about magazines such as Cosmopolitan and Glamour - you know the type.

We've gotten into the habit of walking by and turning them around if they are not appropriate at a number of places, but I finally spoke to a manager at the grocery store about having that stuff blocked so that our children don't have to read about the latest in activities that are meant for the privacy of the bedroom, not to mention the front cover photos that are often objectifying and inappropriate for anyone.

I noted that many other stores, such as another local grocery store, have "family aisles" and block out the fronts of magazines with this sort of display, and I was informed that there is a section in our store that does have the covers covered up. But there is still a grand display in the center near the front of the store - from all four directions, magazines are displayed, and it is by the checkouts. I made it a point to note that I would be taking my business elsewhere based on their plans for this display and was told that I will be getting a call back from their district manager.

I know that this is a concern to all and I just wanted to invite you to make it a point to speak to a manager, should you shop at this store or any other stores that have such displays and ask to have someone call you back regarding their plans for (hopefully covering) this.

The more people who speak up, the better. Thanks in advance for your assistance, whether via voice or prayer, on this small battle I've chosen!

Blessings,
Katie

2 comments:

  1. Hey Kate,

    I know exactly what you're talking about. I don't have kids but when I worked at VG's (my second job), I was always flipping those magazines over so the covers were not showing. I could not believe what they put on those things. The word "SEX" and "Va-jay-jay" blazing across the front, as well as "MIND-BLOWING ORGASM TONIGHT" screaming across the top. Are you kidding me?! I think we will be hard pressed to find a place to shop that does not display those magazines - but if you have a Whole Foods in your area, they don't sell them. They just sell "organic" magazines, ha ha. I love shopping at Whole Foods even though it can be somewhat more pricy, but I get great service, quality organic products, and no tabloids or "va-jay-jay" magazines gawking at me during check-out!

    God bless you for saying something about it, Kate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Katie! I hope I and others can have the same courage and commitment you showed when approaching manager about this. For the innocence of our children, their eyes need to be protected from those pictures! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete