As part of the planning and excitement for the event, today I fixed Kassia's hair as I imagined she would like it for the dance. She really liked how pretty it was, and so we've got her 'do all planned.
Kassia decided that she wants to wear her lavender Christmas dress for the evening and even suggested that maybe Paul wear a purple shirt so that they match!
The only thing left was a surprise that Paul and I want to have ready for her: a corsage. I am planning on heading over to a floral shop this week to order it. I wanted to go today, but didn't have the opportunity as we want this to be a surprise for Kassia. Thus, she can't come with me to order it. Tomorrow I may have a chance.
I asked Paul how far in advance one needs to order a corsage and he got this funny look on his face - kind of a mix between having an "inside joke" and being slightly befuddled. I pressed on because I knew that he had given me two corsages during the time we were dating when I was in high school. I distinctly remember him telling me about when he ordered one of them, as he said that he worked with the clerk at the floral shop to make sure that they had flowers the color of my dress.
Apparently, however, this was actually the only corsage he ever personally bought!!
It became obvious in Paul's hedging my basic questions about corsages and his experience with them that he really had no clue.
"You gave me two corsages for dances we went to, " I said to him, rather puzzled, trying to figure things out by stating the facts as I knew them. "And I know you took other girls to dances before we knew each other. I'm sure they got corsages, too."
"Well," he replied somewhat sheepishly, "I don't really remember ordering them myself. We just had a kind of magic refrigerator."
Huh?
He added, "Well, on the day of the dance, a corsage would just magically happen to be in the fridge."
Ahhh. I see. :-) I was beginning to enjoy where this strange conversation was going.
Turns out his wonderful mother was likely taking care of the details for him! :-) Also, Paul recalls getting "talked to" once by his grandmother about not having flowers ready to give to a girl before a dance. He shared with me that she basically let him know that flowers weren't optional and then opened up her purse, handed him a twenty, and told him to get flowers!
You gotta love the magic refrigerator and the strong women who keep it running!
P.S. Anyone know how far in advance I should order a corsage? According to my husband, there are places that will make them last-minute (at least that one time he got one himself), but I'm not sure that's too smart! :-)
Hahaha that is great! A magic refrigerator!
ReplyDeleteYou know, around here, I know I've seen corsages pre-made at the florists in their coolers. But if you wanted one to match her dress, or to be safe, I'd just call a local florist and ask them what they recommend.
um, this may be my favorite post of all time! In fact, I just read it to my hubby.
ReplyDeleteYour hubby speaks the truth. I have seen people (ie-my brothers when I had to be the one to tell them they needed to buy one) get them the day of. The only thing is that if you want purple you would have to order a day in advance because they spray the flowers or have to pick nice purple ones. They leave the last minute ones to neutral colors for the guys who didn't know to buy one - and didn't know to ask what color the dress is :)
I hope they have a GREAT time!