I've been thinking about Lenten sacrifices for the last few days, trying to decide what I am going to offer up this year. Usually, I skip the "giving up" and incorporate an "adding to" instead. For example, some years, I "give up" being lazy by "adding" a promise to workout at least three days during each week of Lent. I think the "giving up" is a good thing, but that it can be restricting in that you might not think outside the box and have awareness of other ways you can offer yourself.
My ideas thus far include:
-not purchasing anything unneeded for myself
-giving up desserts that do not include chocolate (lame, I know)
-
-
(I know I had more, but I am a little sleep-deprived and can't think...)
I have to note here that I am not strong in self-discipline and I keep that in mind, to a certain extent, when I consider my Lenten sacrifice. I won't even attempt to give up chocolate, because I know that failure is imminent. I won't give up the little TV watching that I do or reading for pleasure, because these things are important ways that I can unwind and relax at the end of the day. I've tried giving those up and, in hopes that it doesn't sound like a cop-out, I've learned that keeping these options available to me each day is actually healthy for me. I'd commit to a workout program, but I will either still be 9 months pregnant when Lent begins or the mother to a newborn. Yep - that's not going to work.
*By the way, check out the great ideas for Lent, as well as a great explanation of why Catholics (although not just Catholics do this) offer up sacrifices for Lent, that Judy at BENMAKESTEN has posted:
Doing Without for Lent
Added Thoughts
Well, I still have two days to figure it out. And if I don't end up choosing something, that's okay. Because I can still focus on my being "small" and look for and embrace the daily sacrifices that are available to me. As all mothers know, there are lots of sacrificial opportunities available to us!
Finally, I'd like to leave you with the link to this AWESOME ad put together by Catholics Come Home, Inc. This ad and two others will be run on television during lent and, I have to say, they beautifully depict what the Catholic Church really is (unlike what many people believe is the Church and then hold in poor regard). I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
http://www.catholicscomehome.org/
(click on the "Epic" commercial)
God Bless!
No comments:
Post a Comment