Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Aging Gracefully...I Guess!

It's amazing how I can be 9 months pregnant with my fourth child and STILL have strangers who come up to our home to survey/proclaim their religious beliefs/sell things respond to my answering the door by asking, "Is your dad or grandfather home?"

Granted, I'm not yet 30 (actually, I am only approaching 29) but do I really look THAT young?  (Feel free not to answer - I think I must look that young!)  And yes, when I am pregnant, I carry well enough that it's usually about month 7 before people feel confident enough to ask if I am expecting - but I'm 9 months pregnant now - and, trust me, it shows.  Plus, I FEEL ultra-pregnant and older than my years, especially when I'm tired.  I would think I look as old as I feel, but I guess not!  :-)

Paul gets the same comments, too.  At one of the chess tournaments he was at with his chess students, he was asked a question about an upcoming round.  He replied that he didn't have the answer and the asker responded, "Well, don't you play on the Varsity team?"

And last winter, while outside our home, an elderly gentlemen asked him how the football team was doing.  He replied that he didn't know, much to the surprise of the gentlemen.  "But, don't you play for the (local city) team?"  Paul kindly responded with the fact that he's been out of school for over 10 years and shared this story with me as soon as he could as it was too funny!

It seems odd to me how often we are thought to still be in high school - Paul as either a football or basketball player, and myself as, well, I'm not sure - I guess someone who sits around the house and answers the door for my parents or grandparents.  Paul and I always enjoy lots of laughs after these encounters.  And, if we have so much fun with it now (these true stories also entertain our friends and family), imagine how much fun we'll have when we are older!

Let's hope we continue to age this gracefully!

1 comment:

  1. Katie,
    I've enjoyed your last three posts. I hope everyone is healthy after your Valentine's Day illnesses. And yes, you and Paul both look young. I wouldn't mistaken you for high school students, but that's probably because I know both of you well enough to know you are not teens anymore. I will try to call you tomorrow. I have not been very good about calling this week. Have a great night!

    ReplyDelete