Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Struck by the Scripture Part II

Another reading of Scripture that I wrote down to ponder more was from the November 14th reading of the Gospel of Luke, chapter 21 verses 5-19:



While some people were speaking about
how the temple was adorned with costly stones and votive offerings,
Jesus said, "All that you see here--
the days will come when there will not be left
a stone upon another stone that will not be thrown down."

Then they asked him,
"Teacher, when will this happen?
And what sign will there be when all these things are about to happen?"
He answered,
"See that you not be deceived,
for many will come in my name, saying,
'I am he,’ and 'The time has come.’
Do not follow them!
When you hear of wars and insurrections,
do not be terrified; for such things must happen first,
but it will not immediately be the end."
Then he said to them,
"Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom.
There will be powerful earthquakes, famines, and plagues
from place to place;
and awesome sights and mighty signs will come from the sky."

"Before all this happens, however,
they will seize and persecute you,
they will hand you over to the synagogues and to prisons,
and they will have you led before kings and governors
because of my name.
It will lead to your giving testimony. 
Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand,
for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking
that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute.
You will even be handed over by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends,
and they will put some of you to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name,
but not a hair on your head will be destroyed.
By your perseverance you will secure your lives.
You will even be handed over by parents, brothers, relatives, and friends,
and they will put some of you to death.
You will be hated by all because of my name,
but not a hair on your head will be destroyed.
By your perseverance you will secure your lives."

There is so much in this!  First, I love that He says, "Do not be terrified...it will not immediately be the end."  We are not to worry about the end!  Do not despair!  Whether or not the end is near (and it is not for us to predict as we cannot know the time nor the hour; I think that if He would have wanted us to know, He would have been extremely clear), we should certainly be prepared but not fearful.


[I know there are a lot of people who wish for the end to come soon, and even pray for it.  But I think, as do many Catholic theologians (this is according to my husband, who knows that kind of thing), that perhaps we should be grateful that the end hasn't come.  This additional time before the end of time is perhaps a gift for those who need a bit more time, a bit more living of life, to accept His grace.  As much as I would like the end of days to come before my children could possibly be old enough to willingly sin, so as to secure their places in heaven, I do not wish for others to miss out on this additional time to reform their lives and come to a life of faith.]

And I love this as well:  "Remember, you are not to prepare your defense beforehand, for I myself shall give you a wisdom in speaking that all your adversaries will be powerless to resist or refute."  It makes me think of all the martyrs who spoke such words of truth before their deaths; surely their words came from God.  It makes me feel a little bit better about my lack of clarity when trying to explain the faith.  :-)


How has the Lord spoken to you through Scripture recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment