Monday, September 13, 2010

10 Surprising Things

Allison tagged me (yay!) to do a blog about 10 things that surprise me or 10 things surprising about me.  Like her, I'll do a mix.  Here you go (and I'm sorry if I disappoint you in not being surprising - I'm pretty open about things, so I don't have much surprise left in me I think!):

  1. I LOVE to mow the lawn.  Since we've been married, Paul has probably mowed our lawn a maximum of 5 times.  I've mowed it all the other times in these past 7 years.  Need a lawn mowed?  Babysit for me and I'm there!!
  2. I really dread grocery shopping.  I'm not sure what it is but it is a total chore to me.  It's a good thing my husband finds it relaxing!!  (That was a pleasant surprise for me!  He goes to the grocery store; and I do the yard work.)  Quick note:  One of the joys of marriage is laughing at yourself - my first time sending Paul to the grocery store ended up not-too-productive as my list included items such as "chicken" and "marinade".  The poor guy came home and said he had to guess what kind of chicken I wanted (fresh, frozen, cut, whole, legs, breasts, etc.) and said he didn't know what the heck kind of marinade I wanted as he didn't really know what marinade was or where it would be found.  We had a GREAT laugh at my lack of descriptiveness!  I've learned since then!
  3. My elbows are double-jointed.  If you want a picture, just let me know - it's pretty bizarre and can really gross some people out.  When I was younger, I would practice my elbow flexibility and could sometimes shake someone's hand with my arm twisted around.
  4. I am so surprised at the number of people who believe it's totally inappropriate to ask personal things like one's weight or social security number, but then think it's perfectly normal to ask about their family planning and size choices!  What gives?  Weight: 25 lbs more than recommended, but I'd settle for 10 lbs. less, SS#: memorized but not sharing, family planning: God's plan for us!
  5. What is it with people who care more about trees being cut down/environmental issues/pets than they do about kids being aborted or starving or left in orphanages?!  Seriously - have you seen those Humane Society/ASPCA ads that totally mimic Christian Children's Fund!  I'd save a dog, too, but not at the expense of the starving children!
  6. Sometimes, I would like it if we could start a community like M. Night Shaymalan's (sp?) The Village.  If you haven't seen it, do so - it's pretty intriguing.
  7. I SCUBA dived once and want to do it again, but I am pretty sure my husband wouldn't want me to until our kids were full grown.  He's overly protective like that.  :-)
  8. I don't get people who say they wouldn't do things differently.  I would.  I can think of plenty of times when I would do things differently.
  9. When I find out that I'm pregnant, I am thrilled and then I am suddenly seized with a physical memory of labor.  My joy briefly becomes "Oh, dear Lord!  I can't do that AGAIN!"  But then it goes away and comes back - over and over and over again for 9 months.
  10. I'm surprised at how much faith God has in me, when I am sometimes so very lacking in faith in me.  Good things God's all-knowing.  I'll just have to trust him!  :-)
Well, I hope that was interesting or entertaining or something for ya!  Kids - if you are reading this when you are older, please know that number 9 was SO WORTH IT!!!!  You are my greatest masterpiece!!!

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I didn't know you've scuba dived! I'm open water certified for it, as well as Steve. But he only went once in Hawaii and had trouble with his ears so we haven't gone since.

    Well, you know, when your kids are older if you ever get to going again I'd go with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. great meme. I would love to see pictures of your double jointed elbows.

    As far as sending your husband to the shop, did you see my post about why women hate doing it? Go and watch it. I can guarantee it will make you laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, I'd love to dive with you! That would be awesome! (I cornered Paul and got approval to go again in water without sharks and only as far down as 30 feet!)

    Therese, I LAUGHED and shared it with my mother-in-law! I'm going to have to take some time to watch that comedian's other skits!

    ReplyDelete