Sunday, January 31, 2010

No-Med Update

Not sure this med-free thing is working for me.  Not for lack of desire or effort, that's for sure, but I've got these pregnancy hormones rampaging through my system, the lack of sunlight and warm weather, and the daily grind - especially the kids who, for some reason, seem to think that listening and obedience are optional these days - all contributing to these crazy emotions of mine.

The good news is, I'm not ready to give up - and my husband doesn't think I'm nuts!  :-)  It's only been two full days since the last pill and so he's encouraged me to give it more time.  He also reminded me that I get super-emotional at the end of all my pregnancies (I must have blocked those times out!).  So, I feel reassured tonight after talking with him that I am doing quite well.

Well, after the long weekend of tears mixed with complete normalcy, and the long weeks my husband has been putting in with work, we've decided to call it a night with a few grasshoppers.

My favorite alcoholic drink (of the few I do actually like), the grasshopper has been one that I know how to make at home, and I do it quite well.  I'll only have a few sips, of course, but it doesn't matter than I can't have a whole serving to myself.  We enjoy our grasshoppers so rarely, that any time we partake of the creme de menthe concoction, it's a special occasion.

- - -

Darn.  Paul just got back from the gas station, where they carry ice cream.  Except, apparently, for tonight. Now he's off to the grocery store, for the second time today, to pick up the ice cream.  Cuz when you need a grasshopper, you just need a grasshopper.

I'll keep you posted on the no-med plan I'm on - just keep praying!  I've got as little as three weeks to go or as long as five.

4 comments:

  1. Way to go! I'll be remembering you daily in prayer-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus, I was going to tell you, in case you didn't already know (I just figured this out myself) about pre-writing posts and then scheduling them to post later so that you don't have a cluster at once. You'll find this feature at the bottom left hand corner of where a new post is formulated under the heading "posting options."

    I was pleased to figure this out and thought you might be, too, as you mentioned something earlier about posting several at once.

    Enjoy the grasshopper!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can do it, Kate. Just try and remember how you thought about things being on the meds. In fact, since it's only been two days, there's a chance you still have some meds in your system yet. It depends on what you were taking. When I was being weened off of Paxil, that was a nightmare. I had withdrawals like a heroin addict; vomiting, dizziness, nausea; I had to be prescribed something else temporarily during the weening. The doc said they weren't "withdrawal" symptoms; they were "discontinuation" symptoms. Uh-huh. And the difference is.... ?

    Anyhow, I think Paul is right. Pregnancy hormones are probably your biggest kicker right now. Just try and talk to Jesus whenever you are in a funk, even if you have to go into the bathroom and talk to Him out loud where you have a little bit of privacy. It almost always works for me.

    Keep believing that you can do it; I know you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the words of encouragement Jill and the prayers from everyone.

    Diane, thanks for the prayers and for reminding me about the posting date feature. I was just talking to a friend about that very thing yesterday but didn't even think about how I could take advantage of it as you noted!

    ReplyDelete