I was thinking yesterday about how I lately have been managing to post to this blog in posts of twos and threes. It just turns out that it works for me to keep a list of what I want to post until I have the time to do it. And then I try to post all of those things at that time. At first I thought, Hmm, readers might find this kind of strange. But then I realized I was doing everyone a favor - two or three posts for only one visit to my blog! :-)
- - - - - - -
My dear friends, Sarah and Eric, are missionaries currently awaiting the birth of their first child. Once their little Josiah is born, they plan to go to Mexico to live our their missionary call. They currently live in the U.S., but are still very far away from us and I am not able to make it to Sarah's baby shower this weekend. I was looking over her baby registry for gift ideas and noticed that they had registered for some cloth diapers.
After talking to Sarah, I learned that they did hope to cloth diaper, at least especially while in the mission field, where disposable diapers might be hard to come by and, living the missionary life, often don't fit into their small budget.
This conversation inspired me to get back into cloth diapering. (Thanks, Sarah and Eric!!) I had practiced cloth diapering with Luke until he grew out of the supply I had. I was glad to make the sacrifice of doing some extra laundry and dirty work to be saving money for our family and doing what I could to eliminate the waste our family produces. Plus, I do think it is probably much healthier to have cloth next to your skin than chemical-laden man-made products. But, I must admit that I didn't like the diapers I purchased...they were good quality - but not as convenient as some of the great cloth diapers out there. So, when our supply no longer fit Luke, I wasn't willing to spend the money to buy more.
Now, however, I am happy to say that I am back to where I want to be - more eager to get back into cloth diapering. And I finally have started to build a supply of diapers I KNOW I love and that will be convenient for anyone to use. Special thanks to Mom L. for gifting our new baby with some of these diapers. They are adorable and I can't wait to use them!
Here is a photo of my new supply!
Also, I hoping to be working with a good friend who will help me to convert my other cloth diapers into ones that I will like better. I am excited about this and I hope it won't take too long for this sewing novice to figure out how to sew well with velcro closures and elastic. :-) I'll keep you posted!
Yay! Those are super cute! I am at the point where I need to purchase the next size up for Jerzy and am anxiously putting money aside. It is a bit of work, but well worth it. =)
ReplyDeleteBrings back memories of 30 years ago and laundering the diapers. They were always soft and fit well. Pampers/LUVS were a luxury for traveling. Have a grand day! OH!! If you can, hang them out to dry...they smell so good when you take them off the line. Cathy
ReplyDelete