Wednesday, January 11, 2012

whew!

It has been a whirlwind of life over here.  Since I last posted, the stomach flu visited out house, I've been busy with some temporary but big work projects, I got mastitis, got antibiotics, the mastitis went away on its own, the baby ate nearly constantly, the other kids managed without any real schedule to our days, and we have fortunately had some kind friends bring meals by to help us in our transition of 4 kids to 5.

Could it get any busier? 

Strike that.  I know the answer and I don't want to find out the hard way!  :-)

I have learned in the past two weeks that, for me, a 5th baby is a little harder yet than a fourth.  Not terribly hard, mind you, just slightly more difficult.  I think this is mostly because this baby requires more constant attention (feeding) and I have two kids schooling now, and a period of increased work responsibilities (though this is temporary).  Also, Sophia was a dream baby - sleeping well right away.  And when I was pregnant with her, the other kids played blissfully while I napped as I needed.  James sleeps well, too, but wakes up to eat much, much more often.  And the other kids don't play quietly anymore.  In fact, they seem louder than ever these days.  I find myself having to give frequent instructions on how to deal with conflict, reminders on toy cleanup responsibilities, ideas on what to snack on since the snack we had 2 hours ago (or was that 20 minutes?), and ideas on what to do since someone (pick a child, any child...) won't play with someone else.

All of these things are normal and I am mostly fine with it.  I do feel concerned that we aren't schooling at this time and that I can't say for sure when we'll start up again.  I still have some adjusting to do and I think that certain things have to come together for a schooling return to be successful.  These things include my workload lessening (this will happen soon) and a scrapbook completion (I hope to get this done in the next 2 weeks, if James is considerate enough to let me do this in the evenings and provided I am not too tired from being up in the night feeding him) which may sound silly, but it was a Christmas gift and Christmas isn't going to be here forever, even if my tree might stay up that long.  :-)

I do have some photos of James to post, but they are still on my camera and I don't have the energy to download/upload now.  But I can tell you that he had a checkup today and, in 2 1/2 weeks has gained over 2 lbs., 2 cm head circumference, and 3/4 in. in length.  His cheeks are remarkably chubby and he looks much less like a newborn.  He is a wonderful baby and I am so thankful for him.  He is now sleeping a norm of a 2 hour stretch at night instead of the 1 hour, which I appreciate.  Sleep is still very, very precious though.  It's not too easy to catch a nap with the other little ones.  If I could guarantee that James and Sophia would nap at the same time for at least 30 minutes, then I could fit in a nap - if I didn't choose to use that time to do some other task.

All in all, I think I'm doing pretty well postpartum.  Much of it is due to helpful friends and family, and the blessings of great kids.  As long as I keep my expectations of myself reasonable, it'll be fairly smooth.  Provided the stomach flu stays far, far away.

I do have James' birth story to write up - that will hopefully come soon.  But I have taken up all the time I dare blogging today...now I must have a snack and put my feet up while I have a chance.  James will want his late night supper any time now.  :-)

6 comments:

  1. Prayers for you hon--this time of transition is oh-so-difficult--you sound like you are keeping your chin up very well! Take it slow...that baby is the best gift for your kids, and if their school is slow to start back up, they will learn so much in patience, love, and sacrifice in the meantime. :) So don't be afraid to be gentle with yourself! You'll be back to your highly motivated self soon enough!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad how well things are going for you, and I'll pray for you. It's nice to know 5 kids isn't too much more difficult than 4, but I do feel bad that you are so tired! hopefully james will start sleeping better...maybe along with Sophia! Looking forward to the birth story, whenever you can share it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. With our fifth, we made sure to put him to sleep in his bassinet every time (not let him sleep in our arms) and he has always been a dream to get to sleep since. We just lay him down and walk away and he doesn't ever cry, he just goes to sleep. I realize part of it is personality! But I did conciously only let him sleep in the bassinet. Also, we give a bath before bed, and that always helps our babies sleep a big chunk in the beginning of the night. Why am I telling you this - you're a pro! James is so cute and I can't wait to see more pictures :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie,
    Glad things are going well and that you're keeping expectations "reasonable." I'm keeping you in my prayers during this time of transition. Wish I was closer so that I could take a few of the older kids for you for a few hours, or help out in other ways. Very much looking forward to visiting, whenever that time comes. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wanted to pop in and say I'm praying for you, hope your baby AND you are getting good chunks of quality REM's! And hope the rest of the family is settling back in as well.

    ReplyDelete