Monday, June 21, 2010

Whew! Busy!

Haven't had much time to blog and have had less time than usual to "write" blog posting in my head, too.  It's just been very busy around here!
(Me and the kids with Grandma, enjoying a ride in her golf cart)

This whole weekend was really wonderful, starting Thursday, actually, when my mom was in town for a day and half.  Paul and I got to go on a long walk date on a beautiful night on Friday, thanks to Mom babysitting.  Saturday we went to visit both my dad and grandfather, meeting at the assisted living home my grandfather now resides at.

The best part of the visit was when we were saying our goodbyes after taking my granddad down to lunch.  All the residents were gathering at their tables and were noticeably interested in our kids.  I took the baby around to all the tables, where she was SO appreciated and loved.  The last table was THE highlight of my day, where a woman asked to see the baby.  She could only turn her head a bit in either direction and was wheelchair-bound.  Her fragile arms leaned on the table, as if they didn't have the strength to hold up her gentle, frail hands.  But those hands - how they loved!!  She stroked Sophia's sweet cheeks and awed in the grip Sophia's little hand had on her finger.

And her face lit up with such joy that was made even more beautiful with the words she exclaimed, "Oh, my goodness sakes alive!  Oh, goodness sakes alive!"  I can't truly describe how she said the words - but the how was just as important as the words she said.  She spoke so tenderly, breathing out the words of pure adoration.  Paul and I both felt awed by her instant love and awe for our child.  It was so beautiful, how the gift of Sophia - given to us by God - was also a gift to this woman - and how that gift to her was a gift back to us!  This may sound all discombobulated, but it's hard to describe...imagine witnessing someone seeing and touching a little bit of heaven.  THAT was what happened.  And to think that she thanked us!  We should have thanked her!
(Sophia's feet)

Well, after our visiting was done, we drove home through the back country roads, enjoying not having plans and must-dos for our weekend.  We spent most of the rest of the day outside, picking rocks.  You see, we've lived here for about 7 years and the personal touches and improvements we've made have been very slow.  It's as if we come up with one project per year.  I'd say in about 10 years, I'll have made this house my own.  :-)  It's a work in progress - like me!

Anyway, back to the rocks.  We have a group of bushes that are surrounded by landscaping rocks.  I don't like landscaping with rocks - I like dirt and worms and all the beautiful things that can be grown there in place of those rocks.  So we are picking rocks.  Can I just tell you that I LOVE this task?  Seriously.  It is manual labor, outdoors, and it just makes me feel closer to God.  Does that ring true with anyone else?  When I come in the house at the end of the day and my back aches from leaning over the rocks and my legs are crampy from squatting down, I feel GOOD.  I love aches that remind me that I've accomplished something.

We had a wonderful Father's Day on Sunday; Paul grilled for us and we all had some great family time.  I tried to show Paul how much I loved him with a long backscratch at the end of the day and neck massages anytime we were in the car - he loves those things.  We also picked rocks!

Today we schooled, picked more rocks, and went on a great walk.  The kids and I stayed pretty busy all day.  Sophia's been cranky the last few days, which is the first crankiness we've experienced with her.  I'm thinking she actually has some teething going on.  No teeth evident, but she's been drooling like crazy this last week and has both fussed with and been relieved by nursing and also has been taking the pacifier again, which she never does for me.  Teeth can be moving around under the gums for a long time before they pop out, but I am hoping that, if it's her teeth that are bothering her, I'd like them to come in soon.  She's been having some piercing cries lately that my ears don't really care for!  At the same time, her fussiness has reminded me to spend some extra one-on-one time with her, really talking with her and enjoying her at the very age she's at.  It will be gone too quickly.

(Sophia looking up at my mom)


Tonight, our dear friend Sarita and her family are in town, but we won't get to see them until tomorrow.  The busy-ness continues.  Usually, we don't thrive on this kind of schedule, but Paul and I are doing really well with being so busy.  It helps when the things you are busy with are things you love!  I can't wait to see Sarita and Eric and their baby boy Josiah.  Kassia's thrilled about seeing her godmother Sarita, and our family is blessed to being enjoying a few days of camping at the CYE retreat center with all of them!  I probably won't get to posting more than once or twice, if that, during the rest of this week, but I'll hopefully be getting lots of photos and making lots of great memories to blog about, should the time, energy, and inspiration present itself.

Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Enjoy!! It's good to do a house in "baby steps." You enjoy it so much more. Like good food, take time to savor the results! Have a grand day! Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katie, sounds like a wonderful week! I love that lady's reaction to Sophia! How beautiful! It looks like the kids had a great time riding on the golf cart! That must have been when you were up visiting her recently.
    Looking forward to FINALLY seeing you tomorrow! I'm planning to order a shake so that I can have at least one arm free at a given notice for a baby, just in case you or Sarita want to rest your arms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun picture in the golf cart. Grandma is quite the woman!! I was catching up on your blog (I know I'm soooo bad) and saw your question about the blog banner. Here's the link from a blog I read that tells you how to do it: http://memoriesoncloverlane.blogspot.com/search/label/How%20To%20Make%20A%20Cool%20Blogger%20Header%20%28or%20%22Banner%22%29%20Using%20Picasa

    I hope that works!

    ReplyDelete