Thursday, May 7, 2009

Marytown


On our way back home from Louisiana, we called parishes on our route and were unable to find a Mass to attend. We wanted to do something to recognize the Lord's day, and also thought it would be special to spend some unscheduled time together as a family - and OUT of the car!, so we made a detour to visit some special and holy places in northern Illinois.

We first visited Mundelein Seminary, the alma mater of some of our cherish priest friends. The grounds were beautiful, as were the buildings on the seminary grounds. We spent some time looking at the church there, as well as strolling on the property, which is partially wooded and also sits next to a beautiful lake. We met some people there, who warmly welcomed us and invited us to be their "guests" and enjoy a meal at the cafeteria. I was touched by their friendliness and generosity.

We wanted to continue our pilgrimage, so we got back in the van and drove a few miles to the Marytown, the National Shring of St. Maximilian Kolbe in Libertyville. The church was amazing! It housed the most relics I have ever seen in one location, and also had some photos of and items from St. Maximilian Kolbe and his bunk and solitary confinement chamber in Auschwitz. Marytown is the location of the Militia of the Immaculata in the United States, a prayerful evangelistic movement dedicated to Our Lady, whereby one consecrates themselves to Jesus through consecration to His Mother, Mary. The Militia of the Immaculata was started by St. Kolbe, partially to prayerfully combat Masonry.

Paul and I very much hope to return to this church to spend more time in prayer and in the presence of the Saints, and I would also love to take advantage of one of the many beautiful retreats they offer. Shown below is a side chapel area that contains those photos and items from St. Kolbe's "residence" in Auschwitz. One notable item is a photo of a hauntingly realistic drawing of Jesus, carved into the wall by the fingernails of St. Kolbe's cell mate - drawn in total darkness.


Here is something from the bulletin that I wanted to share:

"The most important person on earth is a Mother. She cannot claim the honor of having built Notre Dame Catheral. She need not. She has built something more magnificent than any cathedral--a dwelling for an immortal soul, the tiny perfection of her baby's body. The angels have not been blessed with such a grace. They cannot share in God's creative miracle to bring new saints to heaven. Only a human mother cna. Mothers are closer to God the Creator than any other creature. God joins forces with mothers in performing this act of creation...What on God's good earth is more glorious than this: to be a mother?"
-Joseph Cardinal Mindszenty
How beautiful! And did you know that a bit of DNA from each child born to a mother stays within her womb for the rest of her life? What does this mean? This means that our children will forever be a part of our bodies, not just in our hearts. This also means that Mary has always been a Tabernacle for Our Lord, holding Him close to her heart and within her even as she watched Him perish for our sins on the cross.



Photos from www.marytown.com.

3 comments:

  1. GREAT pictures Katie! I love it! That quote by Cardinal Mindzenty is one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops! I forgot to put that the photos came from the Marytown website. I'll have to add that. Aren't they great! I was kicking myself on our way back to WI that I didn't take photos with my own camera - you should have SEEN all the relics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful information about Marytown... we will HAVE to go on a retreat there! Maybe we can even pick up a couple friends from the Milwaukee area on our way down... You have definitely peaked my interest, especially with it being the national shrine of St. Maximilian Kolbe. He is a wonderful saint (aren't they all? They are saints after all), one I really want to learn more about!

    ReplyDelete