Tuesday, February 26, 2013

It's February


Can you tell it's February?

I can.  It's the month where homeschoolers (or maybe just me-ha!) start to go a little insane.  We've been inside, weathering the winter illnesses and staying away from chilling winds and blizzard conditions.  We've hunkered down and done our work for months now and the end is still months away.  It's when I start to look for any reason to get out and have a play date even if said play date leaves me exhausted (not used to going out anymore, apparently) and then we end up not getting our planned work done for the day.

Yesterday my husband had to work out of town.  And I knew it would be a late day for him, so I anticipated a long day for me.  And in the morning we had Nadia's Little Flowers group (which was, as usual, AWESOME - and I got to teach this time!), but after just that one activity and the thought of our fridge and pantry looking a little bare as we didn't get groceries as planned over the weekend, I went home from Little Flowers via the McDonald's drive thru (which is very rare for us).

And then we managed to quasi-school and quasi-work and quasi-housekeep and my husband called and I learned he was going to be even later than planned and it was suppertime and there was nothing new the last 5 times I checked the cupboards so I fed the kids graham crackers in milk (like cereal - I love it, actually, but I don't usually give it to them but eat it in front of them because I'm the mom and I get things that they don't) and divided a bag of microwave popcorn amongst them (save James).  To top it off, they got juice, slightly diluted as usual.  And they thought it was a treat!!!  Thank heavens they don't yet see me as too lazy to go to the grocery store.  Or to open a can of soup or feed them something more ____ (insert word here, like substantial or nutritious).

Today we had a playdate and when the littles were napping, I briefly napped on the couch.  And being that we still have the same grocery items here that we had yesterday (we do have plenty of food, I'm just tired of my fallback of noodles of one variety or another), we did open the cans of soup for dinner.


And, no, I'm not expecting, it's just February.  But March is lookin' pretty good.  I'm sure we can make a grocery store run before then and we'll probably have increased our stamina for springtime and schoolwork and play dates and all that.  Oh, and March is the first of the "months of birthdays," so that's something to look forward to, too.  Sort of.  That reminds me that I need to get some gifts!  OK, so maybe March can take it's time coming until I'm ready... 

3 comments:

  1. Katie, you are not alone!! I can totally relate and the end feels like it's nowhere in sight. Like you, we've hunkered down, the kids are tired of school and I'm tired of them complaining. It's days like this that get me to start thinking about all the things I'll change next year. Maybe.
    Very eager for springtime, getting back together with friends and no snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate. And I know I owe you a phone call, shame on me for not getting back to you yet. Lots going on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the same thing. I'll keep looking in the cabinet or refrigerator thinking if I keep looking long enough something new and delicious will magically appear.

    ReplyDelete