This is a post from the depths of a worn-out mommy.
I know it'll get better, but you are more than welcome to remind me of that anyway. :-)
I think I'm burned out. You know - in that place where you don't feel like you have anything left to offer to anyone? And yet you are still needed and wanted, in different ways and on different levels, but even the easiest tasks seem really exhausting. Dishes and laundry are truly tasks that require effort - mostly I get them done because I know I'll feel worse if I let them build up.
I have my work responsibilities, homemaker responsibilities, child raising responsibilities, schooling responsibilities, and then those responsibilities to myself and my husband (as he tells the kids - he saw me first!). I'm tired. Yesterday Paul asked me to do some research today on something completely reasonable, but I felt that the addition of that one thing was going to topple over my already full plate.
What I want is to take a minimum 2-3 day vacation without the kids. And then I want to spend fun time with the kids for awhile, and then I want to have more time to myself where I can get things crossed off of my to-do list for once and for all. It's not that I don't love my family; I most definitely do - but I can't be very good to them if I don't get some R&R.
We went on a vacation this last week, but it was a camping trip. I loved the hiking, biking, reading time, and on the beach time. But set up, take down, mosquito slapping, food cleanup, and the meager hygiene tasks (like cleaning out the potty chair and having to walk a ways to the bathroom) was tiring. And getting the kids to bed - horrible. Thankfully, my mother in law was there to help, but I felt bad feeling so pathetically exhausted with everything. When I have not gotten enough sleep, I know I'm moody and I hate having that "out there" for others to see. It's bad enough that I and my family have to deal with me at those times. (wry smile here)
Camping used to be more fun for me, but that was when I didn't have as many little ones to care for and I had more flexibility in my daily life. I wish that I was more of an outdoorsy girl who has more spunk to energetically tackle these challenges, but I'm not. I'm learning more and more that a vacation to me, is something that is all-inclusive, doesn't include the kiddos, and has the likely potential of a trip to a spa. Unfortunately, this is both costly and hard to plan for and a bit selfish.
What I am dumping out in this post is certainly affected by a week of poor sleep, being pregnant and having cravings that are constant and at the point where I should start wearing support hose for my vericose veins that come out at this point (but so far I've been too self-conscious and lazy to wear them, choosing instead to deal with the occasional discomfort), and we've still got stuff unorganized in this house, we still have our old house, and we've got a cat that has started doing his business in places other than his litterbox.
I'm wondering if part of me is depressed, or if it is all exhaustion and pregnancy speaking. Paul would tell me to stop combining all of my concerns into one big overwhelming thought, and he'd be right. I think it would be a lot easier to do that if I could eat one of my currently craved-for meals, have my kids do their chores and play without loud screeching, and take a 2 or 3 or 4 hour nap.
Anyway, I am doing my best to be smart about it all and not expect too much of myself or anyone else. I'll try to be content getting just the minimum done and pray about not letting all the undone things hang in my thoughts. And I'm going to try and not feel lazy when I just lay around and try to rest.
--Just interrupted by my little man who sliced the skin between his thumb and first finger on a piece of broken pottery. Sigh. He always seems to be the one injuring himself. :-) But I do feel better now. Ironically, there is nothing better to get oneself out of a slump by focusing on the needs of others. Thank you, Lukey, for the diversion from thoughts of only myself!
Awww Katie! I only have a minute, so I'll be more encouraging soon, but one thing to remember:
ReplyDeleteNever ever ever refer to a trip with kids as a vacation!! It's a trip where you have all the responsibilities of home but none of the conveniences. Look at it as something you do for character building, bonding, for the kids, etc., but it is SO NOT A VACATION!!!! (Especially camping. Seriously)
On the same subject, I would not say that a kid-less vacation is 'selfish.' To do so puts unneeded guilt on you (and your husband) as you evaluate what your needs are. And needs aren't selfish--they're needs! If you are feeling that God is calling you to make a kidless vacation happen, then take the 'selfish' word out of it. There is nowhere in the Catechism that condemns kidless vacations! ;)
On a plane, they always say that in the event of a pressure drop, help YOURSELF to the oxygen first and then help your children. That is wise advice for child rearing in general. Get some oxygen!!! I love you honey! I'd write more, but I have to go work on my own stuff I've neglected all day!!! lol
If it makes you feel better, I sent Pete out for $5 pizzas and my task is to set the table with paper plates. :)
Katie, I'm right there with you, although with less responsibilities. I wish we could take a girly vacation together. I'm struggling with not feeling like myself, having discouraging feelings about our birth, and frustration of feeling like I don't matter, it's all about the baby.
ReplyDeleteSo anyways, you're not alone, I feel so worn out too.
Maybe one of these days we can vacation together :)
Katie, I hope you get some alone time. Even Jesus had to get away for awhile. You work hard for your family. Until you get a kidless vacation, I hope you can take small breaks here and there.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Lena
Girl, I know just what you mean. I felt like that last month. I was exhausted, no end in sight, felt like I had nothing more to give ... to anyone, much less my wonderful husband and ornery--I mean--beautiful children!
ReplyDeleteI'm not even pregnant! I think that being pregnant (or nursing) intensifies every negative emotion, everything that tires a girl out. Pregnancy makes chores feel like insurmountable obstacles. It makes a regular day feel like a marathon. It is hard to build a new person from scratch!
I'm in your corner! I hope you get some rest, maybe a little time away, and ideally, some spoiling from your wonderful husband! :)
Hang in there!
I agree with Krissy A. that, often, we are of no use to anyone if we don't help ourselves first. As Mom's we often sacrifice and sacrifice until we are completely empty. Then, we become Monster Mommy (or wife) and have a horrible few days.
ReplyDeleteSome tricks I've tried to get a little Mommy time:
- Rent a new game for the Wii for a day
- Rent a new movie for the kids to watch
- Set up water sprinkler or water table
- Purchase LEGO set
- Plan a trip to the park
Some of these (renting a game or movie) and help with Mom needing some extra rest. Others will help when you need to get some tasks done or some prayer/reading time.
I think it would be a great idea for you to go away for a night or two with Paul. We just did that for the first time this winter and it was really great for our marriage. We had two rules:
1) No talking about the kids
2) No talking about work.
Boy, was that hard! But then we remembered that we DO have other interests other than kids/work.
Finally, Matthew Kelly has some sage advice on what we all need each day. We should try to get something in for ourselves in each of the following categories:
- physical
- emotional
- psychological
- intellectual
Definitely a challenge, but when I've been able to do something in each category, I feel like I've had a great day!
=)
Peace to you!
HUGS!!! You are pregnant and so have every right to complain. I have days like these and then days of complete bliss - I just wish there was a happy medium, but then I guess we wouldn't need faith :)
ReplyDeleteHello Katie- This may be a great date night!!
ReplyDeleteMy name is Kelly Kracht and I work for the Maximus Group, a Catholic marketing and communication agency in Atlanta, GA. We are helping to promote The Mighty Macs movie, and are reaching out to Catholic bloggers across the US, inviting them to special pre-screenings (view trailer here: http://www.themightymacs.com/ ). We have a screening in Ashwaubenon, WI that I would love to invite you to, however I don't have your email address so that I can send you the e-vite? Please email me at kkracht@maximusmg.com.
Take care and God Bless,
Kelly Kracht
I hope you are okay and that all is well.
ReplyDelete